Organized October 23, 1877, the El Paso Club is believed to be the oldest private town club west of Chicago. The building that the club now occupies was erected by Professor James H. Kerr of Colorado College as his home in 1883. Prof. Kerr's home replaced Major Wagner's (first president of the club) cottage, which had stood on the property since 1875. The El Paso Club purchased this residence as its quarters in 1890, and has occupied the building ever since.
Since its organization in 1877 by nine men, all of whom were insistent that no firearms or intoxicants be allowed on premises, the El Paso Club has grown in a steady and sensible manner to its present day membership of 400. In its earlier days between 1890 and 1900, a golden era for the nearby mining community of Cripple Creek, the El Paso Club was the prime meeting place for the many newly made millionaires who spent money lavishly and entertained in a manner similar to the very high society of London. The El Paso Club earlier day social functions were one of the factors that contributed to the Colorado Springs' nickname of "Little London."
With the passing of the fabulous old timers whose antics and deeds are now recorded in the El Paso Club history, the club has taken on a different image and has gradually transformed into the elegant downtown club of Colorado Springs.
Some changes, though not too many, have taken place in the physical structure and appearance of this grand old building on the corner of Platte and Tejon streets but none of the old tradition or camaraderie have been forgotten by the present day members, young and old.